Wednesday, January 16, 2008

VERMEULEN TO RUN NUMBER SEVEN - Team Suzuki News Service

Team Suzuki Press Office -
January 15, 2008.

Rizla Suzuki MotoGP's Australian star Chris
Vermeulen will run a new racing number on the front of his machine in 2008,
using the number seven made famous by Suzuki's double World Champion Barry
Sheene.

Vermeulen will have the iconic crossed seven on his Rizla Suzuki
GSV-R from the start of the forthcoming season and will be hoping that the new
number will spur him on to similar success as that enjoyed by his hero and
mentor Sheene.

The 25-year-old Queenslander came to Europe to race in
2000, following the advice of Sheene, and he has always had an ambition to run
the number seven on a Suzuki as a tribute to the 1976 and 1977 500cc World
Champion, who lost his life to cancer in 2003. He has used 71 on his race
machines in his first two seasons of MotoGP racing with Suzuki and when the
chance came to change to seven - following Carlos Checa's departure from the
Championship - Vermeulen jumped at the opportunity.

Vermeulen will race
with his new number for the first time at Losail in Qatar on Sunday March 9th in
the opening round of the 2008 MotoGP World Championship, when he will be joined
by new team-mate Loris Capirossi who will still be using his familiar number 65
when he makes his debut onboard the Rizla Suzuki GSV-R.

Chris
Vermeulen:


"I am really pleased to have secured the number seven
on my bike for 2008. Barry was a huge influence on my career and I always had it
in my mind to one day race a Suzuki with the number that he made famous on it -
I just hope that I now have the same success that he enjoyed!

"It was an
honour for me to ride his bike at a demonstration event in England a couple of
years ago and then to have the retro livery on my bike at Phillip Island last
year that was also inspired by one of Sheene's bikes was just awesome, so for me
to now compete with the number seven is like the icing on the cake!

"It
has been over 30 years since Barry won his second world title and I will be
doing all I can to make sure that I follow in his footsteps and make it my lucky
number seven as well!"


No comments:

Post a Comment